Posted by BathBodySupply.com on 6/22/2022 to Education
- Natural Cooling Properties: Menthol can be found in most mint related products and cools you down by tricking your brain into making you feel cool. You may notice this effect immediately when brushing your teeth or consuming peppermint candy.
- Calms Irritated Skin: By cooling the skin, menthol decreases the sensations caused by histamine. The mechanism of menthol’s effect on histamine is unknown. Research has shown that menthol inhibits these sensations by activating A-delta fibers and k-opioid receptors. (a.)
- May Relax And Ease Tension: Scents can have positive effects on mood, stress reduction, sleep enhancement, self-confidence and physical and cognitive performance
- Helps Clarify Skin And Unclog Pores: Peppermint is thought to have antimicrobial properties which may help reduce levels of bacteria on the skin. Extracts of peppermint are very popular in hair care products for its clarifying abilities.
- Can Be An Irritant If Overused: Both the oil and the extract form of peppermint can have beneficial properties, but they can also have a sensitizing effect on skin. Peppermint is a common cause of dermal sensitivity on the face, particularly around the mouth, as it’s frequently used to flavor toothpastes. The oil contains 44% menthol, an ingredient believed to be largely responsible for peppermint oil’s benefits as well as its risks.
(a.) Tejesh P, Shiuji YI, Yosipovitch G. Menthol: a refreshing look at this ancient compound. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 2007;57:873–878.